Sundance 2008

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I was supposed to be writing this posting from home, but we find ourselves still in Utah at Linda's. During breakfast this morning David excused himself and never returned. When I came up to our room to look for him, I found him balled up on the bed. He said he felt a bit tired so I convinced him to stay in bed and I would return after our morning film. I figured the pace of the festival had finally caught up with him. We had one afternoon film planned before heading to the airport.

The morning had gotten off to a glorious start before that - the first day we awoke to sunshine. This is the view from our bedroom and bed.



I saw I.O.U.S.A. without David, but Linda, Neill, and Julie (another yearly Sundance houseguest) met me there. It was a fine documentary about the fiscal crisis our country is facing - and no one is doing much about. It clearly and easily lays out the causes and situation without being too political - or boring. It was made by the same filmmaker who did one of my favorite movies, WordPlay.

A text and phone message from David had me rushing right home after the film - he had vomited and needed some help. I found the poor guy so weak he couldn't stand, dizzy, shivering, and telling me his heart was racing. It took a while before he could attempt the stairs to the car, but once in we went right to the emergency medical clinic in Park City. Coincidentally one of Nancy's theater volunteers works there and called ahead for us and we got taken in right away.

David was in more agony than I've ever seen him in before. After taking his vitals they hooked him up to an IV drip and stuck a long Q-tip in his nose to determine if he had the flu (he did not). They also gave him some medicine for his nausea, and finally some antibiotics.


He had a chest x-ray which ruled out pnemonia and the doctor said his cough was most likely a light case of bronchitis. Funny, he's hardly coughed at all today. We think because he hasn't been out in the cold air.

Bottom line he was hit hard with a killer GI bug. David is convinced it is food poisoning from a buffalo burger he ate last night. We had ordered it to go from the hotel restaurant where our last film was showing. The order was delayed almost 45 minutes and we were bugging them to hurry up because the film was about to start. Our theory is they rushed the cooking and maybe weren't as thorough as they should have been. Given his weakened immune system from his cough/crud, this wiped him out good.

The good news is he is finally starting to feel better. He slept for quite a while tonight and is now drinking some tea and Gatorade. Feels like his fever finally broke. He's on very powerful antibiotics and we have some anti-nausea medicine as well. And he has Sugar and Amber to help him get recuperate.


Despite today, we had a great festival and hope to go home tomorrow. Thanks to all of you who posted comments and wrote emails asking after David. Sorry we didn't see more celebrities (or ones you know Donna). Julie saw Glenn Close yesterday walking in the Albertson's parking lot. I promise to keep you posted when I see Sundance films get released.
Jessica

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 4:20 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

When I first heard Patrick Creadon's next movie would be about the national debt, I thought he was kidding, it sounded so boring. Glad to hear it was good. I'm hoping I'll get to see it eventually.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Double D said...

Wow - what a bummer for David. I hope this experience doesn't turn him off from Sundance forever!
I'd love it if you would post a list of your recommended films so that we can add it to Netflix.
Glenn Close ... now there's a star I know!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home